Home > Community Development > Community Profiles > Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton, NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) > Historical Information
Cumberland County separated from Salem County in January 1748. In December of that year, Cohansey Bridge (now Bridgeton) was chosen as the seat of county government. A year after the Boston Tea Party (1773), the town of Greenwich (which was then the principal settlement of Cumberland County) expressed its view of the British government by burning a cargo of tea en route to Philadelphia.
Each of the region's three cities has a distinctive character and history. Millville has long been known as a center of glass production. James Lee established a glassmaking business in Millville in 1806, and it continues to be the home of the Wheaton glassworks and Wheaton Village. Bridgeton, founded in 1686, is the county seat, while Vineland, laid out as a planned community in the 1860s, continues to be a commercial center for the surrounding agricultural region. The building of dams and canals on the Maurice River in the second decade of the 19th century and the eventual creation of Union Lake in 1869, which supplied water to local iron and cotton factories, accelerated the area’s manufacturing growth, which included the acquisition of food-processing factories. Today, manufacturing, along with agriculture, remains important to the MSA’s economy.
Historical data for the Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton, NJ MSA can be found at the following websites: